Bridal Makeup and some Tips and Resources I found for Wedding Makeup


A friend of mine is getting married later this year and, naturally, the part I'm most curious about is the makeup!  It got me thinking about Bridal makeup because it's not something I'd ever researched or looked into and I thought I'd give it a try myself.  I noticed that Bridal makeup isn't too different from a lot of everyday makeup, it's just a bit more amped up.  I decided to go with something that didn't sacrifice my style but instead just tuned things up a bit.




Hey, it's makeup-less me!  Side note, I'm pretty pleased that the redness in my skin has gone down since introducing a new skin routine, finally starting to see some results!  Anyway, this gives you an idea of the canvas I'm working with



Here's the end result, I used the Naked 3 Palette for my eyes, I was hoping to go for a bit of a smoked peachy look but it's kind of a mash-up between peach and rosy shades which I liked.   I could use a bit more coverage around my nose as I can see some redness peeking through and in a perfect world, I'd have a matching eyebrow pencil so I can add more depth to my brows.



Products Used (I realised that I have no foundations!  I used a mash up of a couple of BB creams instead):
  • Biore Aqua Rich Watery Essence Sunscreen
  • Too Faced Primed and Poreless (for my T-Zone)
  • Bourjois Happy Light Serum Primer (to create a more luminous base)
  • Killing Me Zombie BB Cream
  • Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream in #13
  • Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Light
  • Rimmel Stay Matte (once again for my T-Zone)
  • Models Prefer Mineral Powder in Photo Ready (light dusting over the face to bring a bit more luminosity back to my face)
  • Majolica Majorca Puff De Cheek in Cherry Macaron
  • AC On Tour Contouring Kit (contour and all 3 highlights used)
  • Illamasqua Brow Cake in Stark
  • NYX Milk (as an eye primer)
  • Naked 3 Palette (I used a combo of shades - Strange, Dust, Limit, Buzz, Factory and Blackheart)
  • Maybelline Eyestudio Gel Liner
  • Illamasqua Nude Liner
  • Maybelline Full & Soft Waterproof Mascara
  • Daiso False Lashes
  • Diamond Lash Glue
  • Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Sultry

I used a variety of tools but the ones that I found most imperative to create this look were:

    Real Techniques Sponge (budget version of the beauty blender) for that flawless base finish
    Real Techniques Buffing Brush (this is actually a fake that I nabbed off eBay but it turned out to be pretty impressive, my last RT brush fell apart!) or any other buffing brush would be fine, I used this to buff on both the finishing powders for a more flawless look.

Some tips & tricks I came across for Wedding Makeup

During my research I came across some pretty interesting information regarding wedding makeup:


Foundation and Flashback/SPF - Some foundations with SPF can cause a horrible white cast to show up with certain flash photography.  Not all products with SPF will do this because it does depend on the ingredients but it's a very common mishap that can occur.  A Practical Wedding has a really great article with heaps of information and examples with some foundation in play.

I used a 50SPF PA+++ sunscreen as well as two BB Creams with decent SPF however I was able to get pretty minimal flashback with a direct flash.  The highlighted parts of my face are due to my Mineral powder mostlyand you can see the glitter on my decolletage is illumated as well but there's no big patches of white.  This is a pretty important factor for those who might have an outdoor ceremony or wedding photos whilst having a reception later indoors.  You want to look fab in all lights!

If using a Makeup artist ALWAYS get a trial done - Ideally around a few weeks before the wedding so your skin tone and texture doesn't vary too much.  It's a good idea to wear a top/t-shirt in a similar colour to your gown as well so you can see how they mesh together.   Take a bunch of photos in a variety of lightings to make sure they look great in a few different scenarios.  Remember that Bridal Makeup can look pretty dramatic on its own but will really flourish in photos and will compliment a beautiful hairstyle, gown and accessories so don't be worried!  I was pretty taken aback in person with my end result but it looked a lot nicer once I'd done my hair and taken some snaps.  Take your trial through a stress test, go for a little jog or do some weights, try to gauge the limits of your makeup and be mindful that you need to be prepared for sweat and tears.

Definitely invest in a touch-up kit - If you're using a professional artist, it's a good idea to familiarise yourself with the products that they're using so you can nab some for your touch-up kit or find very similar alternatives.  You're going to want things like a backup lipstick/lipstain, blotting paper or powder, eyeliner, eyelash glue, Q-tips and  tissues.   A good setting spray is also a really awesome thing to invest in, I've read multiple recommendations for Urban Decay's All Nighter Setting Spray.

Consider a Lipstain over Lipstick - If you're going to go for a richer lip colour, it might be a good idea to grab a lip stain instead for a variety of reasons.  In my look, I actually used a Revlon Matte Balm which leaves a stain behind but also hardly transfers so do a test run with your lip colour (usually eating a burger or burrito is a good benchmark haha!)

Honestly I found these to be the most useful tips I came across, a lot of articles just pushed a bunch of products you don't really need or brought up some irrelevant points.  I hope these are helpful though for any future brides :D

No comments:

Post a Comment