Bogus makeup products - aka my shit list


Not just skin care but makeup is a massive trial and error process.  Finding those holy grail products often leads to a pile of holy fail products that just make you sour at the sight of them (for me at least)!

I'm not above having a bit of a rant post and honestly, we could stand to have a bit more skepticism when it comes to beauty blogging since it seems like so many people are just obsessed with everything and no product is ever bad which is not true at all.  I've curated a fine selection of shitty products to go through today, some were former lovers, some I've always despised.


Australis AC On Tour Contouring and Highlighting Kit

What a fall from grace - I loved this product, so much so that I featured it in my top 5 bargain beauty picks list but since using it this year, I've had nothing but bad experiences with it.  Despite using this with different foundations, brushes and waiting different setting times, the middle contour shade (that I exclusively use) looks muddy, the two matte highlighters look extremely cakey and the shimmery highlight makes me look like a sweaty mess.

What happened AC On Tour?  You were the golden child and now you're a little brat and you're being sent away to live in a farm upstate (i.e THE GARBAGE)


Maybelline Baby Lips Candy Wow in Peach

I love the Baby Lips range so I was really excited when the Candy Wow balms came out.  I decided on the Peach flavour since I love the smell of peaches.  It doesn't smell nor taste like peach, in fact it smells like childrens medicine.   This lip balm also somehow manages to not hydrate but instead bring extra attention to any dry or flaky bits on my lips.  There's nothing nice to say about this, I'd love to try the others but I'm not sure I want to take the risk with such a crappy formula. 


Benefit They're Real Mascara

I don't need to go into much detail about this product, I've featured it here and here and both times were failures, I can't get this mascara to work for me and I would like to banish it to the fiery depths below. 

Hard Candy Glamoflauge Concealer

I want to give this product the benefit of the doubt and chalk it down to the formula in mine expiring and going bad.  I originally loved this concealer but as time went on it became harder and harder to use, it creased, wouldn't blend, looked cakey and wouldn't stay put on red spots - it basically became a total failure of a concealer.  I didn't have this tube for very long overall and it was stored well so I'm not sure why the formula went bad.  Sorry to see you go my love, maybe we'll meet again one day...

NYX Blush in Taupe

Taupe is renowned for being the go-to contour product for pale and cool toned individuals.  I recently picked it up since I'm still on the hunt for a good contour.  Taupe is extremely hard to work with and extremely unpigmented, so much so that I'm wondering if mine is defected or a boot leg.

Above is Taupe on my skin after scratching and scraping for the product and after five layers, how the hell am I meant to create a nice blended contour with such a stiff product?  It seems that NYX is aware of how shit this product is since they've reformulated Taupe in HD blush form which is supposed to be a lot easier to work with.

I also just realised that I forgot to take a single photo of the Etude House Color my Brows that was in the top picture but to be fair it was just a little tantrum about my stupid decisions in buying Asian Beauty brow products in "red" shades because they're so very rarely red!

As much as this was a rant, I really enjoyed writing this out, it's nice to let off some steam!  I promise to balance things out with a more positive post next!

No comments:

Post a Comment